Magnetism as Art Showcase
Submission deadline extended to 11:59 PM ET on December 21, 2018.
The 2019 Joint Conference will host a Magnetism as Art Showcase to highlight the beauty of magnetism and magnetic materials. Selected submissions will be displayed at the Conference, and all submissions will be posted to the Conference Facebook page. Four finalists will be determined by popular vote and of those finalists, one winner will be selected by a panel of local Washington, DC art experts.
- In order to participate in the Showcase, one of the listed co-authors to the entry must be a registered attendee of the Conference and be onsite at the meeting.
- Each registered attendee is permitted to submit ONE entry as a first author and it should highlight the beauty of magnetism and magnetic materials. There is no limitation on the number of entries for which you are listed as a co-author. Each entry must be distinct from one another, and not involve a simple modification, such as the change in background color.
- Prior submissions to MMM, Intermag or Joint Conferences may not be resubmitted for consideration.
- The entries may be the result of any experimental imaging technique, modeling and simulation, as well as the combination of multiple images. The focus of the showcase is on the aesthetics of the image rather than its scientific quality.
- If your entry contains any content subject to copyright regulations, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission, the necessary agreements to permit the exhibition of the entry according to the showcase rules. According to Dictionary.com, plagiarism is defined as "an act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of another author without authorization and the representation of that author's work as one's own, as by not crediting the original author." Violators will be subject to disqualification.
- By submitting your entry, you acknowledge that you agree to abide by the Showcase rules and that you permit the display of your entry during the Conference if selected, on the Conference Facebook site, and during current and future Conference advertising.
- All entries much be submitted online before 11:59 pm ET on December 21, 2018. See instructions for submission below. All entries will be reviewed by a panel of judges based on the aesthetics of the image, relationship to magnetism and magnetic materials, visual impact and creativity. Up to 24 submissions will be selected for display at the Conference. Four finalists will be selected by popular vote, and the winner will be selected by the panel of local art experts. The finalists will each be awarded $200 and the winner will receive $400. The winners will be recognized at the plenary session on Wednesday afternoon. Each entry is eligible for only one prize. The selected entries as well as those deserving honorable mention will be posted to the Conference Facebook page.
- If a submission is selected for display at the Conference, the submitter will be notified by December 17, 2018 and will be responsible for printing and transporting the entry to the Conference venue. The printout must be 28" x 28" in size and be mounted on designated poster boards outside the exhibits hall no later than noon (12:00pm EDT) on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 to allow sufficient time for judging and voting. To enable blind-judging, please do NOT include author names or affiliations within the image.
- All entries much be submitted online before 11:59 pm ET on December 21, 2018.
- The file should consist of a high resolution *.jpg file of at least 300 dpi. The maximum file size is 10 MB. Include the submitter’s last name in the file name.
- All entries must include:
- a short title;
- the first author’s name and affiliation
- the names and affiliations of the co-authors;
- a short description of the subject of the image and its relationship to magnetism and magnetic materials; and
- the technique(s) used to obtain the image.
- Click here to submit.